The goal is to burn belly fat and lose up to 15 pounds in 32 days by incorporating healthy fats (MUFA’s) into each meal and focusing on four 400 calorie meals a day.
The Flat Belly Diet consists of a Mediterranean-style menu, the Flat Belly Diet is a sensible eating plan that uses the benefits of monounsaturated fatty acids, or MUFAs, to promote weight loss. You may be wondering, What is a MUFA?? MUFAs are found in some of the best-tasting foods: nuts, olives, oils, avocados, and dark chocolate. They’re not only heart-healthy, but give a feeling of fullness when made a part of each meal.
The diet starts out with a 4 day jumpstart period that prepares your body for serious weight loss. During these four days you drink “Sassy Water” to reduce water retention and hunger pangs. When the 4 days is up, you go through 28 days of eating 400 calorie meals (4 meals a day = 1600 calories a day) that each include one MUFA.
Not only will you lose weight, you’ll wean yourself off of the unhealthy, fatty, processed foods that made you gain weight as you incorporate more whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins into your diet.
- The diet is 32 days long which includes a 4 day jumpstart. The jumpstart period is there to help you de-bloat and get in the mode of healthy eating. During the jumpstart you’ll eat less calories (1200-1400) and you should drink at least 2 Liters of “Sassy Water” daily. Sassy water is a blend of water with spices, herbs, citrus, and cucumber and it’s to help reduce water retention and hunger pangs.
- Once the jumpstart is over you will eat four meals a day, every four hours, each about 400 calories: Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner.
- You must include one serving of a MUFA with each meal: Oils (1 TBSP), Nuts/Seeds (2 TBSP), Avocado (1/4 cup), Olives (10 large or 2 TBSP Tapenade) or Dark Chocolate (1/4 cup).
- Drink plenty of water daily.
Exercise is optional but encouraged. Working out each day for at least 30 minutes would be sufficient. Try walking, running, biking, swimming, dancing. Any type of workout would do. The book Flat Belly Diet has a 28 day workout routine you can follow.
|Short-Term Quick Fix:|
|Lifestyle Change Diet:|
|Simple Diet to Follow:|
|Good For Your Health:|
- Encourages eating a healthy diet of whole grains, veggies, lean proteins, fruits, and of course healthy fats.
- The jumpstart will be a nice push towards eating healthier. You will become more motivated once these 4 days are up.
- Diet is easy to follow, food items are not hard to find.
- Aside from the book, there is a large amount of information online as well as in mobile apps for this diet. (see book & app recommendation below for this diet).
- First 4 days might be a little hard cutting back on foods you love and limiting calorie consumption.
- Trying to fit a MUFA into each meal might be a little difficult, but its possible. Find recipes in the app (see below), in books or online. Menu planning can become time consuming because of this.
- Not a whole lot of evidence that MUFA’s are a magic cure to burning belly fat.
- Dieters might become bored of always trying to find a MUFA to fit into their meals.