I call this “skinny me soup” for a few reasons. 1) It is packed with nutrient and fiber dense vegetables. 2) The soup is filled with chicken which is packed with protein and will help repair muscle tissue. 3) The fiber and protein will keep you full on minimum calories. 4) It is super easy to make (not skinny but still a plus).
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 boneless, skinless cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 4-8 cups chicken broth
- Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, anise seed, fennel seed, dried oregano, and dried basil
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and add garlic until fragrant.
- Add onion and season with salt. Heat the onions for about ten minutes , stirring constantly.
- Add the bell pepper and heat until tender.
- Add the shredded carrots and mushrooms and cook for five minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, and seasoning to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes until the flavors blend.
This recipe will make about 6-7 servings totaling around 150 calories per serving. 150 calories may sound like nothing for a meal but trust me this soup fills you up. I like to have it for lunch as it keeps me full for hours after I eat it for a fraction of the calories.